Kirk Whalum – “The Gospel According to Jazz – Chapter II”

As promised, I ran (okay, walked!!) out to my local record store and got Kirk Whalum’s new release, “The Gospel According to Jazz – Chapter II” and I was glad that I did. I really enjoyed “The Gospel According to Jazz – Chapter I” album which was released in 1998 for it fused gospel and jazz in such a spiritual way. This new release just takes it to a new level. I first enjoyed Kirk’s saxophone when he was playing with Bob James in the mid-80’s and on subsequent solo projects. The album opens with “John 1:1” which sets the tone for great things to come. Vocalist/Guitarist Jonathan Butler is featured on the instrumental “Thy Kingdom Come” and lends his wonderful voice to the beautiful song “Falling In Love With Jesus” which speaks to the love of God. Percussionist Luis Conte and gospel singer Tata “Maybe God Is Trying To Tell You Sumthin” Vega are featured on “El Todopoderoso” which is filled with Cuban rhythms. It is also a family affair with Kirk’s brother Kevin giving the sensual Johnny “Guitar” Watson groove “Ta Ta You Baby” a gospel twist now named “Ta Ta You Jesus.” Kirk’s son Kyle wrote and plays a great bass guitar on “Seasons” which was dedicated to the victims of 9/11. I know I have mentioned most of the special guests but please note that Kirk is jammin’ and giving God the highest praise on each song. All of the songs were recorded live at West Angeles Cathedral in Los Angeles except the jazzy studio track “The Moment I Prayed” featuring Kevin Whalum and gospel singer Kim Burrell. Rounding out this uplifting album are keyboardist George Duke, guitarist Paul Jackson, Jr. and a host of wonderful background vocalists.

Kirk is also featured on the recent release “BWB – Groovin’” with Norman Brown and Rick Braun. Read more about Kirk’s masterful music on his personal website, www.kirkwhalum.com.

13 Responses to “Kirk Whalum – “The Gospel According to Jazz – Chapter II””

1. Antonio G says:

After that review I’ll have to pick up Kirk Whalum’s latest effort also … I’ve been lovin’ Kirk since I heard “All I Do,” …

2. noldus says:

l heard “Falling in love” from the album online, l immdiately went and bought the dvd. This project does not only display excellence in skill, but has life changing power through the medium of jazz.
    God can take whatever you have, bless it and use it. The band really praised on their instruments.
    Lovely and true in every aspect.
    Arnold O

3. Angela Bryant says:

I heard ‘Falling In Love With Jesus’, and I had chills going through my body. I will be picking up the dvd monday afternoon, because that is when I get paid. I am very impressed with the song itself, and I plan on making Kirk Whalum apart of my music collection. I just happen to turn on BET channel to watch the Bobby Jones Gospel Hour, and I saw Jonathan Butler, and Kirk Whalum live together on stage, and it blew me away. Keep up the good work, because it brought a change in my life. Thank you…………….God Bless You….

4. Antonio G says:

So I’m sitting at work listening to KJLH [102.3] and I continue to hear this one particular song get airplay day in and day out — “Fallin’ In Love With Jesus,” and I couldn’t figure out who was singing or playing. I did a search on the song title and came across your website … Why didn’t I know it was Jonathan Butler & Kirk Whalum? This is on DVD — I really need to get this project soon!

5. Anna Finn says:

THIS SONG BROUGHT HEALING INTO MY LIFE. WE WERE LISTENING TO THE RADIO WHILE I WAS DRIVING HER TO PAY SOME BILLS, AND MY SISTER IS REAL BIG ON LIVING RIGHT AND NOT CURSING, SO SHE TOLD ME TO CHANGE THE STATION, SO I PUT IT ON 1240am AND THIS SONG CAME. I STARTED SHOUTING IN THE CAR AND ALMOST GOT INTO A WRECK. BUT THIS SONG WAS MY WAKE-UP CALL. AND BECAUSE OF GOD INSPIRING KIRK WHALUM, I AM WHO I AM TODAY.

6. LaKeysha Steward says:

The song”Falling in love with Jesus” is absolutely one of the most inspiring songs in gospel music.I’m a saved young woman and this song has great meaning in my life.It’s one thing to just hear a song, but it’s another to let the song minister to your spirit.May”GOD”continue to richly bless and keep all those who took part in bringing this wonderful song to the air waves.

7. Cherie Gillion says:

The song “Falling In Love With Jesus” allows me to feel that moment of intimacy with Jesus. It is not only a healing song but it is a love song to JESUS. I was really going through some trials when I heard the song but as I continued to not just hear but listen and allow it to began to flow into my spirit I began to feel myself being free from bondage. Thank you for allowing the Lord to give you such powerful song, that will truly bring forth deliverance and healing. What you are doing is what music ministry is all about.

8. butterfly says:

This song is my favorite gospel song, and a young lady at my church, she sang this really good and that’s how i found out about this beautiful song.

9. MonaT says:

Kirk is wonderfully inspirational. I have enjoyed everything I have heard of his work. I am looking for a VHS or DVD of The Gospel According to Jazz Chapter One. If anyone knows where I could obtain a copy, please email me. I would greatly appreciate it. Thank You.

10. Jerome Whitehead says:

My name is Jerome Whitehead, and I am a brother in Christ wanting to sing “Falling in Love with Jesus,” however I need the words, and music with Jonathan Butler’s voice. This song has open my heart more to Christ and I want to honor Him by singing it to another fellow believer. If you can help me attain this it would a blessing from God.

11. canisha rennie says:

when i first heard that song it forever changed my life and i just want to take the time out to say:thank you Mr Kirk Whalum for your inspiring song because it changed me and i know it can definietly change the lives off many other people who would just get a chance to listen to it.So thank you once again and continue to sing to the name honor and glory off God.Keep doin what you always do best.GOD BLESS YOU.

12. Brandon Jordan says:

9 years later I hear Kirk Whalum’s Falling In Love With Jesus on 102.3 KJLH. It was in high rotation at KJLH in 2002. I was only 21 when first I heard this song living in South Central and going through hard times. I’m 30 now and this song pulls on my heart strings. Very emotional and touching song. I got myself together in January 2003 when my son Lil’ Bran was born. This song helped me with a lot stuff. I can take care of my son and my wife, I gave up gang banging and moved away from my old South Central neighborhood. Count your blessings and keep your heart to God. I’m crying now.

13. Jose Enrique Avila 1987 says:

If you love all kinds of music including gospel and smooth jazz. You’ll love Kirk Whalum, I’m 25 years old and I’ve been a fan of Kirk Whalum since I first heard “All I Do” w/Wendy Molten on KJLH Los Angeles back in the late 90’s. I’m an aspiring singer and I want to appeal to all age groups. I can sing, rap and play the piano and I know I’ll develop a strong following but back to this song. I know that I can have a guest spot on Kirk Whalum’s albums and display my talents while singing over the saxophone. When my two year old daughter gets a little older I’ll introduce her all kinds of music.