j-notes.com: A year later…
On October 15, 2002, I posted my first entry on this weblog. There is so much that has happened in my life since that first entry. I am constantly amazed and richly blessed just because I stepped out on faith and pursued my dream of writing about music. I have met some of the coolest people in and out of the blogosphere and I am glad to call them friends. Here are some of the highlights of the past year and a look forward into the next year. Yeah, I am going to be a little modest about it. Stop by often for I am adding more to this post as the day goes on.
Cool stuff over the past year
- Press credentials for the 46th Annual Monterey Jazz Festival and having my reviews linked to their website.
- Reviewing new music and concerts.
- My first artist interview with Jeremy Pelt. Did you buy his new album yet?
- Meeting Shirley Horn, Carla Cook, René Marie, Jason Moran, Kurt Elling, Geoffrey Keezer, Lynne Fiddmont-Lindsey, and Terence Blanchard.
- Being on the radio with Vince Outlaw of The New Jazz Thing on KSDS-FM in San Diego. Yo Vince, where’s my clip!!!
- Music reviews published in Arise Magazine, Jazzhole Newsletter, and on Jazz Review and Blogcritics
- Patti Austin’s surprise birthday party!
- Sitting first row center for Lizz Wright’s concert in April in L.A. I had to sneak to write notes because I did not want to be a distraction.
- Music, music, and more music! You know who you are and you know I am very grateful!
- Gwen’s blogger luncheons and happy hours!! Yo Gwen, when is the next event?
- Attending a vocal seminar with Ledisi and actually having to sing in front of her.
- Anita Baker playing Oakland and taking notes in the dark
- Flashback Friday’s!!!
- Cool site banner, categories for archives, and most comments section. Thx Gwen, Kevin, and Mike.
- First Annual Festival of Desserts
- Thanks to everyone who let me know when I forget to spell and grammar check especially Tubba, JS, and Antonio G!
- Playing t-ball with A.J.’s little guy and knocking the ball out of the yard into the brush. I was sooo embarrassed.
What did people search on the site?
Lots of interesting stuff but some of my favorites were Christina Aguillera, Britney Spears, Eminem, Ghostbuster’s and lots of song lyrics.
Reviewing more music and concerts, gaining more knowledge of jazz and other good music, keeping my passion for the music, and just continuing to have fun. I also want to make my first trip to NYC next year to visit the many jazz clubs. More interviews and Q&A’s. Ultimately, I would like to write liner notes. 🙂
Thanks for all the love from my family and friends. I know my dad is smiling down on me.
Thank God for a great year and may the music never end!