Bringing Your Voice to Life
Over the weekend, I attended a writer’s retreat and had the great good fortune of presenting a workshop entitled Bringing Your Voice to Life/Personal Publishing. In the workshop, I provided information on writing reviews and blogging.
- What is your inspiration/motivation for writing reviews?
- What do you want to convey in your writing/reviews?
- Write the review that you would want to read.
- Write what you know.
- Read other’s reviews to get ideas for developing your own style but not to plagiarize.
- Be honest and accurate in telling your story.
- Research additional information on your subject – Google, Google, and Google again!
- Don’t be afraid to walk away from your writing in order to get fresh ideas.
- Don’t be afraid to invoke your voice but avoid I, Me, Me, I.
- Using a few or many words to convey your message. What are the differences?
- Always, always do spell and grammar checks. Use proper punctuation.
- Meeting your deadlines – whether self-imposed or by publications.
- Publish your work in several publications but don’t overkill.