Award-winning and platinum-selling music producer, musician and songwriter Narada Michael Walden will present The Spirit of Giving, a concert featuring a number of his friends and colleagues, including Carlos Santana, Bonnie Raitt and Bonnie Hayes.
Other musicians performing at The Spirit of Giving include:
– R&B and dance hit singer Jeanie Tracy, who was one of Sylvester’s back-up singers along with Martha Wash and Izora Armstead.
– Canadian singer Naomi Striemer, whose 2006 CD Images was produced by Walden. Carlos Santana plays on the CD’s single, “Cars.”
– Percussionist Karma Moffett, whose music features Tibetan Singing Bowls, Tibetan Longhorns, Hand Bells, Tingsha Cymbals, Conch Shells, Drums, and Bone Horn Trumpets.
– Jazz bassist Troy Lamkpins.
– Pianist and vocalist Tina Malia, who has been compared to such legendary female artists as Joni Mitchell, Sarah McLaughlin, and Loreena McKennitt.
The show will be a tribute to Angela Bofill. Bofill scored several dance hits in the 1970s and 80s, such as “Angel of the Night,” and “Too Tough,” but has recently suffered significant health setbacks. Walden and Bofill have worked together for more than 25 years – Arista Records’ then-chief Clive Davis teamed Bofill with Walden in 1981 to produce her first commercial jazz-pop-R&B crossover recording, Something About You. Walden produced her next two recordings, 1983’s Teaser and Too Tough. The concert will also remember Joe Zawinul of Weather Report, who died in August.
For event and ticket information, go to the Grace Cathedral website.